To (hopefully) correct this misconception, I have decided to rely entirely on Web 2.0 video creation tools this semester. Students will each pick a tool from the list below and use it to complete their video project. We'll still cover basic video editing techniques in class, but students will have to figure out on their own how to apply that knowledge to the particular tool they picked. Here's what we will use:
- Flowgram - Mashup of web-based tools and voiceover narrative enables people to create a brand new type of webcasting multimedia experience.
- StoryMaker - A simple tool for creating digital stories. Using audio, pictures and text you can create storyboards, slideshows and much much more.
- Sprout - A quick and easy way for anyone to build, publish, and manage widgets, mini-sites, mashups, banners and more. Any size, any number of pages. Include video, audio, images and newsfeeds and choose from dozens of pre-built components and web services.
- TVNima - One of my favorites! An online machinima application that lets you create TV shows with your own images, videos, music, voice, sound effects etc.
- RemixAmerica - Allows users to create remixes by uploading their own video footage and sound clips to the site, searching YouTube for footage, or using video clips already uploaded to Remix America. Wired story on the RemixAmerica.
- VIDDIX - A new video platform that allows users to add all kinds of webcontent to their video timeline.
- muveeMix - Allows users to create their own short personal videos from raw footage, music and pictures. The result, called a muvee, can then be embedded in your blog or shared with your friends via email. The service comes free of charge (for limited accounts), though registration is required.
- Animoto - web application for making videos. Matches the video to your pics & music.
- JayCut - Create your own movies and slideshows, so called mixes.
- Brightcove Storymaker - Produce and publish professional slideshows, podcasts, and custom rich media
- CurrentTV assignments - List of all the news & commercial assignments on CurrentTV
- FixMyMovie - If the quality of your video footage is low, run it through this first. Automatically cleans your movies with MotionDSP's advanced video technology.
- Public Domain Pictures - Repository for public domain pictures
- Wikimedia Commons - A media file repository making available public domain and freely-licensed educational media content (images, sound and video clips) to all
- Resources previously listed on the course blog